"The Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act of 2006 (Transparency Act) requires a single searchable website, accessible by the public for free that includes for each Federal award:
1. The name of the entity receiving the award;
2. The amount of the award;
3. Information on the award including transaction type, funding agency, etc;
4. The location of the entity receiving the award;
5. A unique identifier of the entity receiving the award.
Welcome to www.USAspending.gov, a relaunch of www.FederalSpending.gov, that provides citizens with easy access to government contract, grant and other award data.
Useful tool. I can't believe that you can't generate a search feed directly from Youtube
Cool place: "BEYOND is a pioneering center devoted to tackling foundational questions of science and philosophy through
* Research programs
* Specialist workshops
* Public outreach
Our focus is on fundamental physics, cosmology and astrobiology, but our program is broad and transdisciplinary. Major themes are
* The foundations of quantum mechanics and the nature of reality
* Early universe cosmology, quantum gravity and quantum field theory
* The quantum and thermodynamic properties of black holes
* The nature of time
* The origin of life and the search for life beyond Earth
* SETI â€“ the search for extraterrestrial intelligence
* Alternative forms of life
This thread claims the iPhone is the "best mobile pdf reader ever." But then, in order to get & read pdfs on an iphone: "You either need to store the PDFs as email attachments, save them to something like box.net to view using the browser, or else jailbreak your phone and use the PDFViewer software."
Too many hoops… I'm trying Felaur PDF app on the iPhone — my $2 gamble for today.
The US Census isn't just about funding. It's a key info resource for journalists, researchers, advocacy organizations, and more: "By putting Judd Gregg at Commerce, Obama has put a Republican in charge of one of the most politically frought tasks facing any president: the Census. Mandated by the Constitution, the Census is, of course, essential for allocating congressional seats as well as the disbursement of certain federal funds. "
"Many people who watched live streaming video of the inauguration of U.S. President Barack Obama on Jan. 20 may not realize that their PC was used to send the video to other PCs, too. Clicking "yes" to a CNN.com dialog box installed a peer-to-peer (P2P) application that uses your Internet bandwidth rather than CNN's to send live video to other viewers."
Google Latitude allows you to share your location with friends and view their locations on a map. Latitude is completely opt-in, so you must enable it before you can start sharing location and can disable it at any time. With Latitude, you can also:
– Share your location and status updates with the friends you choose
– See on a map where your friends are and what they're up to
– Quickly contact them with text message, instant message, or phone call
– Control how much or how little location info you want to share with whomever you choose.
Hmmmm, iphone version says "coming soon"
David cohn tells LA times: "Ideally Spot.us is a platform, not a news organization," he told me later. "That is really important to me, because I should not be the one to define what is and isn't journalism, what should and shouldn't be on Spot.us."
Excellent discussion on the strength of weak ties — how people self-organize into information networks… Twitter, facebook, wikis, etc. It's important to make these technologies fritctionless, lower barrier to use. Context of business and intelligence communities.