This 12-part tutorial is a major revision and expansion of an article I originally published Oct. 18, 2003 under the title “What Is RSS and Why Should You Care?” Some of this information is now out of date, but much still applies.
Please note that this tutorial reflects an important shift in terminology at CONTENTIOUS. This publication is transitioning from RSS feed to the more generic nickname webfeed. This shift is explained in Part 11.
TUTORIAL TABLE OF CONTENTS:
- Introduction: What’s New Online?
- How Most Webfeeds Work
- Main Advantage: Webfeeds Save You Time
- Getting Started: You Need a Feed Reader
- Subscribing to Webfeeds
- Finding Good Webfeeds
- For Publishers: Why Webfeeds Beat E-mail Newsletters
- Publishing Your Own Webfeed
- Content: What to Put on Your Webfeed
- Webfeed Disadvantages
- Why Do I Say “Webfeed” Rather than “RSS?”
- The Big Picture for Webfeeds
Read on… and feel free to link to this resource or quote from it (with attribution, please).